Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It's not all about stone


I've done a bit of research about what sort of condition alpine plants like to live in (might have been a good idea just to ask at the garden centre). Turns out the best way of fooling them that they're back home on a swiss mountainside is to sit them in fine gravel, so I bought a bag when I was out on my travels yesterday. I put about an inch in all the cavities, so the rain will drain out of the plants and down into the centre of the wall. I've got a bad feeling that this might not be the best idea for the wellbeing of the wall but it's too far gone now.



First one in, it's one of the big ones and I had to really squeeze it in to the hole - I felt a bit guilty doing this, I hope it's okay.



Next one, even more rooty and even less happy-feeling about being stuffed into its new home.



Kicking myself now that I didn't go for the buy 2 get 1 free deal on gravel at the garden centre. There's nothing left to fill these big holes up so about half of the plants are going to have to stay in their pots until I can get my hands on some more grit.



Hmmm, not really the most naturallistic look! Maybe once they're bedded in and spread out a bit, they will look a bit more like the picture I had in my head...